Wednesday, January 18, 2012

WIO & Weigh It In Wednesday 1/18/2012




I hate Wednesday Weigh In's.

OK. That's not true. I love it last week when the scale said minus pounds.
This week I hate it because it said plus pounds.

I don't get it.

I was gonna lie and say that when I watch what I eat, my body gets all weird on me & hangs on to every single pound of fat like there was a famine going on.

But the truth is that I've been sloppy this past week.

I indulged in a couple of squares of DOVE dark chocolate here & there, a couple bags of chocolate animal crackers here & there, a couple of handfuls of chips here & there. A handful of marsh mellows. a couple of cookies.  I had a slice of pizza last weekend. A couple of chocolate banana cupcakes last Sunday after church. Hot soft pillow hunks of fresh French bread drowned in margarine.

Well you get the picture.

(I sure got the picture when I got on the scale and it was +4 pounds. Up from last week.)

The point is I knew what I was doing when I ate all that good stuff. All of THAT has to go somewhere & I'm guessing its going straight to my ass again. My G things were feeling a little bit snuggish yesterday. But I told myself, that was my imagination. Not my thighs talking.

So much for my imagination. *sigh*

Let's review some basics so that I can get my head on straight again.

Here's what I've learned from my weight-loss journey:

1)  Food Logs are a MUST DO. Your memory can't be trusted when it comes to food.This was especially true of me when I was super obese & trying to drop the weight to get healthy. I personally loathe food logging. It's tedious, tiresome & I'm always sure I have way better things to DO than write everything I put into my mouth. But my memory of what I ate over a 24 hour time frame can not be trusted.

I have a bazillion things going on in my head about a bazillion things I have to get done. I can't even remember what I was doing 6 hours ago without consulting my planner.

It's the same for food. Do you remember everything you ate yesterday AND the quantities that you ate it in AND the exact time that you ate it?

Yeah, me neither. And that's why a Food Log is my best friend.

2) Honesty. I saw a picture a few days ago that stated,"Your body is the best testament of your food log". It's true to a certain point. My body (not just my weight but also my strength & endurance) are a telling billboard of my food log. I personally have lied & fudged & straight out altered many a food log before a check in with my nutritionist. Which is just stupid considering I paid CASH out of my kids pockets to get those sessions in with her. Considering that I had nearly 3 years of working with a set of nutritionist and each 15 minutes session cost me $25 - I was not being smart by falsifying my food logs.

I finally got smart & start using my nutritionist(s) for what they are there for, which is to educated me on food choices & consequences. Then I got smarter & started reading for myself about what nutrition should look like for me. They & I had many a good convo about eating smart & to not be afraid to be honest about what I eat. I PAY them to educate me, not guilt trip me about what I did or didn't eat.

Lesson learned the hard & expensive way.

3) Kindness & Gratitude. I learned to be kind to myself. To give honor & love & respect to my self. To accept all the things that I am, that I have done & that I will do. Being kind to myself means that I don't abuse the gifts God has blessed me with which is my body, my mind, my heart & my soul.

If I believe that I am sincerely grateful for the blessings He pours out upon me, I take care of them the best that I can.

Since that is what I believe in, abusing my body by failing to care for it is being careless with God's blessing. I really like getting blessed so I try my best to care for the blessings I get so that they bloom with goodness.

Being kind to myself also lets me get over myself when things aren't so grand (like a +4lbs on the scale) because I know that's not the end of the world. For some other people out there - maybe +4 pounds has the power to ruin their whole day or week.

Not me. Its just one number on one day. Kindness engenders hope. Hope is what keeps me going. every day.

4) Keep On Going. Every Day. or Endure to the end. But I like Keep on Going. Sounds more pro-active to me & less draconian & enduring. I've watched a lot of people lose weight fast in a short time. Which is great if that works for them. But I've also seen them gain it back in a short time too. Which is also great if that works for them.

That doesn't work for me.

A little bit here & a little bit there. Consistently. For me, that works.

Some people start off with a Bang! I'm gonna drop 20 pounds! 40 pounds! 50 pounds! in one month! Yay!  Get rid of carbs! High Fiber! High Protein! Shakes! Bars! Cookies! Pills! Magic Weight-loss guaranteed! WhooHoo!

(I get tired of hearing from them, of them  & about them.)

And then what? Do they keep the weight off 6 months later? A year later? 2 years later? 5 years later? Are they healthy?

Bah!

5) Exercise can't fix what your Mouth did. Eat clean & train hard!

So with that all said, what I'm going to do is dig my good old trusty food log out & meticulously & honestly food log starting today.

With love & food logs ~
Cy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!