Monday, October 24, 2011

Give & Make a Difference

Steamed Kahuku Sweet Corn

Give said the little stream, Give Oh Give, Give Oh Give! Give said the little stream as it hurried down the hill. I'm small I know but where ever I go the grass grows greener still.

That was one of the first LDS Primary songs I learned as a child. I loved singing it. That was when I believed that "giving" meant giving my allowance or toys or extras away to those "less fortunate" souls.

What a shock it was to discover as an adult, that giving means more than giving your money or your things. Giving for reals, honestly, means giving from your heart with sincerity & love. Not because you should give but because its the right thing to give.

(and please for the love of God - don't give so that you can be condescending to the poor unfortunate souls)

Sometimes giving the things that matter most is hard to do. There are some people we have to give our time too, give our space too, give our love too without pre-qualifying the recipient as worthy or deserving of our giving. We just have to give & hope & pray that we've done the best we can do & that THAT was enough.

More than things, this holiday season ~ people need to know that they matter to you. They need to know you care. They need to know that if they were gone, you would miss them deeply. How will people know you love them at all if you don't give them your time & good tidings? Do something like say Hello! write them a note, call them, pop over & visit them, serve them in small ways & big?

It's very lovely to say Oh, well its the thought that counts which I suppose has some merit to it as does the road to hell is paved with good intentions... I thought about them & did nothing. Don't wait until your Hello, How are you doing? & your cupcakes/clothes/messages are perfect. Our time is perfect to do it right now & give some one something that lasts - a little piece of ourselves.

You never know how much you MAKE A DIFFERENCE to someone. You who are reading this - yes YOU - make a difference to me because I know you're supporting my efforts to blog by reading my work. I see the stats crawl up one by one & I thank you & bless you for your time.

Doing counts. Do it. You'll never regret sincere & honest generosity.

(RS sisters, I'm lookin' at ya! Be expecting my notes on your doors & surprise visits to your residences this week)

What does all that have to do with the fresh steamed Kahuku Sweet Corn in the picture? It has to do with the generous hearts & hands of the Hawaii Food Bank & Hope Chapel who last month served over 200 hungry people & families by giving them vegetables, bread & canned items. There were people there from all religious affiliations as servers & waiting to be served.There were elderly, women, men, children, teenagers standing in line baskets & boxes waiting to be filled.

It has to do with the hundreds of people who showed up to Make a difference @ the Kahuku Hospital this past Saturday. It has to do with families showing their love & support as a 93 year old Matriarch was laid to rest in Laie Cemetery next to her Eternal Companion. It has to do with taking a flying leap of faith in letting someone far far away that you've never met before, that he isn't forgotten - that the Lord not just remembers him but knows him by name & loves him dearly.


To borrow again from another hymn that has touched my life many times:


Because I have been given much, I too must give.
Because of thy great bounty, Lord each day I live.
I shall divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see,
who has the need of help from me.
Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care…
I cannot see another’s lack and I not share-
my glowing fire, my loaf of bread-my roof’s safe shelter over head,
that he too may be comforted.
Because I have been blessed by thy great love dear Lord,
I’ll share thy love again according to thy word.
I shall give love to those in need. I’ll show that love by word and deed,
thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed. 

I give because I have been given much. And I have been given so very much!

I have my health such as it is, my mind such as that is, my children are healthy, we have a shelter, we have transportation, we have clothes on our backs & shoes on our feet. We have food on our table & water to drink. We have people we love & who love us in return. We have laughter. We have tears. We have friends & family.
How can I thank my Heavenly Father for all that He gives me if I hoard the blessings? I'd be a very ungrateful selfish soul if I did.

We have all the delicious things this life can offer us in the things that matter the most.

We are blessed & always give Thanks to the Lord first for giving to us . He also blesses us with hard times, anorexic bank accounts, difficult people & scary times so that our faith grows in accordance. Some times I think He trusts me too much & over blesses me with those things but I am also thankful for them.

Those are the situations that turbo charge my growing in faith in ways that casually coasting can't do.

With love & delicious giving~
Cy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!