Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Besties & Banana Crumb Muffins

Muffins fresh from the oven
I wish you were here today!

The sun is out, the trades are blowing, I've got my laundry hanging in neat rows on the clothes lines & banana crumb muffins baking up nicely in the oven.

It smells really good here. Like warm cinnamon-y spicy banana goodness.

All I'm missing is you for company!

I wish you were here to talk story with me at my table, tell me how you are, tell me what's been on your mind & laugh with me about all the little things that make us nuts.

(you can pick which nut you want to be: koko-nut, pee-nut, pisstach-ohwhatthehell nut, bangurheadonthewall- nut. I'll be nut nut you know ~ because 2 nuts are better than 1! Ha!)

I was chatting with Bestie Lee the other day & complaining that I had a mega mess of banana's all about to become over ripe messes. The little guys & I had eaten as many as we could (that would be one each once a day) and now what was I going to do with the rest of them?

I had to use them that day or to the trash they would go the next day. I hate to waste food! Absolutely hate it!

Lee happily forwarded me her recipe for Banana Crumb Muffins. As you can tell, I don't know how to follow instructions well since the crumb part of these muffins became caramelized.

These would be closer to Banana Caramel Nutty Muffins. Sort of. Let me explain...

Sometimes the whimsical baking fairies get a hold of me & whisper in my ear.

"Go ahead, add more butter... everything is better with butter! There's no butter in hell, Miss so have some butter today!" They got the best of me that day!

But that's not exactly true when wanting to achieve a crumb crust & not a caramelized gooey sliding muffin top. Less is more in this case.The original recipe Lee sent me was good for 10 muffins & used 3 banana's. I had a whole bunch of banana's (from our farm no less!).

Had I followed the instructions carefully I would've had wonderful moist crumb-y banana muffins.

Bestie's Banana Crumb Muffins

What I got was deliciously unexpected! Moist succulent banana-y muffins. Some had a caramel gooey-ness, some had walnuts, some had extra banana clumps in them from not getting mashed to pulp. But no crumb-y goodness.

(Still delicious though according to the little beasties begging for samples at the back door. That's a quarter from each of you village kids! Banana's don't just grow on trees!*laughing*)

Sometimes we don't always get what we expected/wanted/demanded. Sometimes what we get isn't better just different.  Our lives take us down paths we never expected to find ourselves wandering on. We meet & encounter people/places/things we never thought twice of before & now wonder how we ever managed without them. Are we better for the experiences? Not always. But we sure are different.
Katz @ the Farm pretending to be a farmer

Different isn't always a bad thing. Its just different.

Lee has several recipes that I'm wheedling out of her. She can bake up good eats like a pro. Some days I think I ought to move home & open up a bakery with her.

(How would one translate YUMMY into Samoan? Yummy sounds like an awesome name for a bakery to me!)

And then she can teach me how to Zumba properly. In a designated safe zone where I won't take out a whole row of people in one fell swoop!

Today, though I'm following the recipe to a tee ( or a Lee in this case) so that I can savor what banana crumb muffins out to taste like!

Banana Crumb Muffins (via http://allrecipes.com/recipe/banana-crumb-muffins/detail.aspx)

Banana Crumb Muffins
 
recipe image
Rated:rating
Submitted By: Lisa Kreft
Photo By: Jessica
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 35 Minutes
Servings: 10

"A basic banana muffin is made extraordinary with a cinnamon-and-brown-sugar streusel topping."
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
2.In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
3.In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
4.Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2011 Allrecipes.com

With love & delicious Banana Crumb Muffins in the oven ~
Cy.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!