Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Crock Pot Chicken Mushroom & Rice

Roast Chicken & Mushrooms
Sunday Dinner @ our house has always been the big meal of the week since I was a child running barefoot in the jungles of Samoa.

(okay, not running and not barefoot but there certainly were and are jungles in Samoa!)

One of the first meals I learned to make was Chicken Mushroom & Rice. Samoan-style back in the day was take a 5lb box of chicken thighs, thaw it out, arrange it on a baking sheet, toss it in a preheated oven @350degrees, cook for 2 hours until the chicken when you poke it with a knife oozes clear juices. Open 1 big can of Campbell's Mushroom soup, pour it in a bowl, add 1/2 can of water - mix and then pour over the oven roasted chicken. Bake another 30 minutes. Turn off the oven & then serve it up with rice & green beans.

Now that my stove is broken, I've been forced to get creative. My crock pot is the go to accessory.

And now that I'm busy, I buy the rotisserie chicken from Costco for $4.99 a whole chicken.

Still using the Campbell's Mushroom Soup tho. Nothing else tastes like it. Don't even think of buying the generic version!

I make this before I go to church, so that I don't have to cook when I get home.

My lovely Costco chicken
But as an adult - I've gotten to wanting more flavor, a little more spice in my life! Here are my new additions:

1tbs liquid smoke
10 cloves of garlic
1 onion
5 tbs of Worcester sauce
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper

1/4 cup of water

pop the chilled chicken in to the crock pot. (I leave the string on him so he can keep his shape)
drop in all 10 garlic cloves. (I usually slice them or smash them up. I put 5 in the chicken and 5 on the outside)
chop the onion &peppers up minced or diced or however you like it - toss that in too.
toss in the liquid smoke, the W sauce and the 1/4 cup of water.
Dump the mushroom soup + 1/2 can of water on it.
Put the cover on it. Turn it on low.

Go to church. Stay at church for all three hours. (Thank God for Air Conditioners in Hawaii!)

Come home to the delicious smells of roast chicken & mushroom. Get a plate & fork, some crusty french bread & a tossed green salad - and dinner is served!

My favorite is to spoon it into a hot dog bun with sauteed onions on the bottom. YUMMMY!



With Love & Delicious Dinners ~
Cy.








1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by!